Sunday, February 20, 2011

Autonomy and one computer and partner


I am lucky that our classrooms are equipped. I like using the computer in class because Ss enjoy those activities, too. On Friday we had a module day, and I had three lessons with grade 11 (added to the usual 5 lessons a week). I cannot imagine how I could have planned the lessons without a computer and a projector; I’m so used to them.

As for autonomy, reading the articles and posts made me revise some practices of mine.
Marine, my partner in the project J, asked me a question about the effect of positive feedback. A couple of days ago one of my best student’s, if not the best, mum came to talk to me about the lack of self-confidence in her daughter. She blames herself for this, as she is her younger daughter and she didn’t raise her to become independent, but I feel that me and her other teachers are also responsible. Well, it is not strictly about autonomy because as a learner one cannot be more autonomous than her, but the problem is related to it.
 
Learner autonomy should be discussed at our school because a lot of teachers give everything and all the materials to the Ss and make them less autonomous than Ss were in the past, and we, who try to make them work independently, and do some work on their own, face resistance and failure. It is so mainly in weaker groups. I wonder how my project will work. My Ss seemed enthusiastic at first, and I tried to highlight that I would like them to enjoy what they are doing, but what comes out...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Petra, I can relate to what you are saying about one of your best students. I have a private student who is facing big difficulties in being independent. Very often when she has the answer to the question I am asking her, she can't say it aloud, but she whispers it waiting for me to approve it first.
    I am striving very much to make her feel more confident by praising her and encouraging her to say things more clearly and distinctly, but she's so much afraid to make a mistake.
    However, I'm not hopeless, with a bit of time and effort I think I can manage to make her feel more confident about herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi yana, I too have a student teacher of same type who is struggling to be an independent learner. She is very much like the student you have described but the shocking thing is she was a teacher before for two years.
    I am still trying to make her independent, still no change. It will take some more time and more effort as you have mentioned.
    Thanks for sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Petra

    I commend you in thinking about the community role of raising children and fostering independence. In the US, this idea is being neglected or forgotten more and more, I feel. I hope your project is successful as well. Even if it is, we can always think about ways make our teaching and tech use better, I believe.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete